Jul 22, 2016

Friday Feasting: Instant Pot | Mexican Beef

AKA...New Recipe Night!

I am still learning how to use my instant pot and gathering recipes to try.  
This one for Mexican Beef from NomNomPaleo.com looked so yummy I had to try it!!! 

Here's what I did...


Gathered ingredients...

(Notice the coffee mug in the back.  We spent the afternoon at the pool...
I *needed* that dark chocolate truffle pick me up!!!)


Sauté onions in about one tablespoon oil.

Add tomato paste and garlic.

Cube meat and toss with chili powder and salt.  Add meat to the pot.

Lock the lid, seal the valve, and set to "Meat/Stew" for 35 minutes.

Natural Pressure Release (NPR) and oh.my.goodness...the most tender yum-yum ever!


Here's Janie's plate...Her meat is served over rice, mine was wrapped in a low carb tortilla.
This recipe was super easy.  
I had all the ingredients (or a decent substitute) on hand.  
AND, the overall and overwhelming vote was that this recipe 
needed to be added to our regular meal rotation.  Win, Win, WIN!!!


Here's the recipe...

Instant Pot | Mexican Beef

Ingredients:
2-1/2 lbs beef chuck roast,** cut into bite-sized cubes
1 Tbsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp ghee (or fat of choice...I used MCT Oil)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (oops, I had already chopped a red onion, the only onion I had, so I used it.)
 1 Tbsp tomato paste
6 cloves garlic (I used the kind out of a jar.)
1/2 C roasted tomato salsa (I used good ol' Pace Picante Sauce.)
1/2 C bone broth (I used the insta-chicken broth out of a squirt bottle with water.)
1/2 tsp Red Boat Fish Sauce (???huh...I used Bragg's Aminos.)
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro and radishes, optional (I opted not.)

Directions:
1.  In a large bowl, combine cubed beef, chili powder, and salt.
2.  Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot and add fat to the cooking pot.  Once the fat is melted, 
add onion and sauté until translucent.
3.  Stir in tomato paste and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. (Or as long as it takes to cut the beef and toss it in the spices...oops.)
4.  Toss the seasoned beef, and add salsa, chicken broth, and fish sauce.  
5.  Cover and lock the lid.  Press the "Keep Warm/Cancel" button to cancel the "Sauté" setting.  Press the "Meat/Stew" button to switch to the pressure cooking mode. Push the down arrow to set the time to 35 minutes and walk away!
6.  When the stew is finished cooking, the Instant Pot will switch automatically to the "Keep Warm" mode.  Let the pressure release naturally.  It takes about 15 minutes.
7.  Unlock lid and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8.  Top with cilantro and thinly sliced radishes...if you want.
9.  Serve over rice or wrap in a tortilla.  (I realize that probably messes up the Paleo part of this meal, but that's what we did.)


**Note: I actually used Nilgai (I'll wait for you to google that...) that my dear husband hunted on the King Ranch in south Texas.  My dear brother-in-law "won" the hunting trip at a private school auction.  My dear sister-in-law was lobbying for the week in Paris, but the Nilgai hunt won out.  And my BIL took his brother (my dear husband) as his +1...isn't that awesome!  I think my dear SIL is still harboring a little grudge.  Sigh.  Anyway...if you ever come across a package of Nilgai meat or have a windfall of a Nilgai hunting trip, do not fear...it is delicious!!!  Very lean, not gamey.  Just delicious.









No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers!!!