"The latest craze in cooking is the revised pressure cooking; The Instant Pot. I was convinced to purchase one (the 8 qt model) after hearing how another Mom (thanks, Michelle!) was always using hers for her large family, and how it simplified dinner making at the last minute! I’m now the proud owner of the 6 qt, too and use both several times a week.
We are well into the growing season at our house, and the yellow squash is in overdrive. Always looking for ways to use it up, I stumbled across the idea of a squash and potato soup. Potato soup is quite popular with my crew, but never thought about adding summer squash. Hmmm. This is my rendition and it was a HUGE hit! I’m still amazed that I can cook 5 lbs of potatoes in no time at all, in the Instant Pot."
5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into large chunks
3 yellow summer squashed, cut into large chunks
4 cloves garlic, mashed and peeled
1 quart chicken stock, divided
4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground pepper
3 tsp dill
1 cup Half and Half
3 cups milk (more for a thinner soup)
1. Add the first three ingredients to your inner pot of pressure cooker.
2. Add about half of stock to pot and place lid in place.
3. Set Instant Pot on manual, and set for 5 minutes.
4. At the end of the cook time, let the pot sit for 8 minutes then do quick release.
5. Once pressure is released, open lid and mash the potatoes and squash.
6. Add remainder of stock, salt, dill, pepper, 1 C half and half and pulse with an immersion blender for one minute.
7. Add milk, then blend. Adjust the thickness by adding more milk, if needed.
8. Ladle into bowls, add toppings and serve!