Apr 15, 2016

Ma Kim’s Five Favorite Go-to Recipes When Dinner’s in an Hour and You Have No Idea What You’re Going to Make

Today's post is linked up with Five Favorites.  
Click on over to Big White Farmhouse for more...

**********************************************************************************************************

So I try my best to meal plan.  God sometimes will grant me the clarity of mind to be able to sit down with my phone and my recipe book (which is mainly on my Menu Planner app) and plan out how next week’s meals will go.  I have created another “calendar” on my iPhone and called it “Menu”, and then I’m able to look at the family’s schedule for the week ahead and plan accordingly.  (It would be SOOOO dreamy if the next week’s weather forecast would also pop up on that calendar, but I digress.)

I also love the fact that I have a “Grocery List” in my Reminders app, and I can just tell Siri to “add pasta to Grocery List”.  I adore hearing, “I’ve added it!” from my phone.

Then Life happens.  There is no clarity of mind.  There is no time before shopping to plan squat.  Sometimes it happens with 7 kids in tow (oh, the humanity!!).  So you just get the staples; your cart is filled with the same old stuff it always is, and you just have to work with it.

My husband is a retail manager, so some nights the pressure of a home cooked meal isn’t there, which is nice.  But the little guys still need to eat, and Mama does, too, so when I’m crunched for time and inspiration, these are my 5 go-to meals.  They can usually be reading in less than an hour.
These are listed in least- to most-abused order.  ;)  (Disclaimer: I like butter.  And allrecipes.com)
#5) Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup – always better with leftover bacon from breakfast (is there really such a thing??  YES, if you hide it while you’re making it and put it in an opaque container in the back of the fridge.)

These are listed in least- to most-abused order.  ;)  (Disclaimer: I like butter.  And allrecipes.com)


#5) Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup – always better with leftover bacon from breakfast (is there really such a thing??  YES, if you hide it while you’re making it and put it in an opaque container in the back of the fridge.)

#4) Pasta with Steamed Broccoli and Smoked Sausage
One or two pounds of pasta on-hand
Bag of steamed broccoli (I love the bags from Sams Club.)
One or two pounds of smoked sausage sliced up (I like the turkey stuff.)
One stick of butter, melted with garlic powder/salt, parmesan cheese, black pepper and parsley.
Mix it all together.
If you have some kind of bread on hand and/or your kids eat salad with it, YOU are officially Wonder Woman.

Even if I don’t have any shredded chicken on hand (you know about putting chicken breasts in the crock pot and then shredding it with your old hand mixer, right??) to add to it, you still get protein with the eggs.  I also buy the Sams Club mixed vegetable bags and use those.  Kids hate it because of the green beans, but they eat it ‘cause they’re hungry.

Love this one.  I always have lentils in the pantry and carrots and salsa in the fridge.  I will also buy the big boxes of fresh spinach from Sams Club and put baggies of it in the freezer when it starts to look like it may be starting to go bad.

This one works for breakfast, dinner, whenever!!  I will throw in broccoli or spinach, make with meat or not.  I also use garlic powder and dried minced onion if I don’t feel like chopping (ok, that’s most of the time).  I’ve thrown all kinds of things in this frittata, and the kids will take it down every time.  Especially with ketchup.



Bon appetit!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers!!!