May 16, 2016

Monday Meme: The End-of-Year Burnout



Well, here we are again, at the end of a school year. Or at least we're supposed to be. We hear our "real" teacher friends talk about how crazy the kids are at school and how great it will be to spend some down time with their kids.  The posts on Facebook are hilarious - train wreck memes, the video with the guy bumping and falling his way down a slide, funny hairy dogs (see above).

I feel their pain. I'm ready to be done, too.

BUT...I wonder...would I feel this way if there wasn't an end to the public school year? What if they went all year round and no one really got used to that feeling of "Whew, it's finally over!"  One of my reasons for homeschooling is that my children would understand that life is about ALWAYS being educated, not taking your brain out for a break all summer.

Last summer was the first time since we've started homeschooling eight years ago that we took the summer off. I'm not going to lie to you. It was niiiice (say that with a good Southern drawl).  We live in Georgia, so the weather was ripe for swimming, hanging out with friends, and just enjoying life. I wasn't nursing, I wasn't pregnant, and we needed a break.

This year we are not going to have such luxuries. It will be a toned down version of school, but my people are going to have to finish up essential subjects. My oldest is trying out public high school in the fall, and I don't know who's freaking out more, him or me (ok, it's me).  We have to get that pre-algebra book done!!  Then, we're welcoming Baby #8 mid-October, so we'll just get started up enough in August to maybe ride a wave of school routine through till Thanksgiving.

I've been through October babies before...it wasn't pretty for the school year.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I can not afford to indulge in "Woe is me, I'm tired of this school year."  Between babies and Life, I must keep this Education Ship always chugging along.  It's freeing in many ways. I'm a slave to no one's calendar.  God has graced me with a husband/principal who has a personality that makes this sanguine girl understand she has to stay on task as much as she can. We have done pretty well, I think.

As much as I want to feel "burnt out", I honestly don't. I want my kids to learn- All. The. Time.


1 comment:

  1. Free from Herpes just in 2 weeks

    The best herbal remedy

    You can contact him

    r.buckler11 {{@gmail}} com,, .................

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers!!!